VPS web hosting plans, also known as cloud servers are a great choice for hosting your website. Generally, many accounts and websites will be hosted on a single web server. However, you will have a guaranteed minimum amount of resources for your websites. This includes dedicated processing power, dedicated RAM, dedicated file storage, and dedicated bandwidth. This is a great option for websites that have a fair amount of traffic and/or database usage requirements.
The best part is that you can expand your VPS account as your needs change, rather than moving a website from one dedicated server to another. Keep in mind, however, that most VPS accounts are unmanaged. This means that unlike shared, managed accounts, you will often be responsible for maintaining your VPS server. This means updating your server software and firewall to prevent hackers from destroying your website. Below is a list of the top VPS hosting companies we’ve reviewed. If you do not want to manage your own server software and security, then select a managed VPS hosting account.
- HostWinds Managed VPS Web Hosting
- InterServer Cloud VPS Web Hosting
- BlueHost Standard VPS Web Hosting
- A2Hosting Unmanaged VPS Web Hosting
- DreamHost Basic VPS Web Hosting
- Hostgator Snappy VPS Web Hosting
- Network Solutions Starter Cloud Hosting Plan
- CloudWays Cloud Hosting Plan
- Hostinger Cloud Startup Cloud Hosting Plan
- Hostinger VPS Hosting Plan
- SiteGround Managed Cloud Entry Plan
- DigitalOcean Standard Droplet
- Linode NodeBalancers
- GreenGeeks Managed VPS Hosting Plan
Short VPS Hosting Reviews
If you don’t want to read all of the full-length VPS hosting reviews, then save yourself some time and scan this list. We’ve listed the hosting companies in priority order, with the most highly reviewed website at the top of the list. You can then either click through to each company website, or choose to read more if something catches your interest.
- Offers more resources than shared hosting without the cost of a dedicated server.
- HostWinds offers both Linux and Windows OS.
- There are four levels of hosting for Linux and four for Windows
- Managed server configuration and maintenance is handled by HostWinds.
- Many different options if you need more memory, RAM, bandwidth, etc.
- Great uptime
- Cost can quickly add up, especially for the higher tier plans.
- The cheaper plans may not be enough for small businesses or large personal sites.
- Managed hosts do not provide as much customization as unmanaged servers.
- Dedicated Resources
- Plans Start at $6 Per Month
- Easily Expand Plan as Traffic and Needs Grow
- 10% Discount When Paying Annually
- Basic Support Free With All Accounts, 24/7 by Phone, Live Chat & Ticket System
- May Be More Than Necessary for Small Websites
- 4 “Slices” Required for Managed Support
- More resources and flexibility than basic plans.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Free domain name for a year.
- Backups are included.
- Customize the plans as needed by adding additional CPU cores, storage, etc.
- Fast servers with near-100% uptime.
- The sign-up price is fairly low, but the price does increase after the introductory period.
- The price also increases quickly as you add more features or upgrade.
- Some security features are extra instead of standard.
- You’re still using a shared server, so you may still experience some issues if the shared resources are maxed out.
- Flexible options allow you to create the VPS host that fits all of your needs.
- You only pay for the resources you need.
- Turbo Server add-on option provides more speed.
- You have full control over your server, including selecting the operating system.
- You have full root and command line access.
- Their anytime money back guarantee lets you cancel your hosting service whenever you want.
- As with any unmanaged server, you do have to manage, update, and maintain all software yourself.
- Pricing can increase quickly when you add on more options.
- Servers don’t include the A2Hosting signature Turbo Boost – it’s an upgrade.
- Servers aren’t unlimited – for example, RAM maxes out at 8 GB.
- Low Cost
- Dedicated resources
- Stronger processing power
- Better privacy
- Easy to upgrade
- May not be suitable for smaller websites
- It may require more technical knowledge
- Incorrect server configuration could lead to security issues
- Three different options to choose from.
- VPS hosting allows your website to operate as if it were on a dedicated server.
- 365/24/7 tech support.
- Every plan includes access to a website builder with thousands of templates.
- Free site transfer.
- Unlimited email accounts and parked domains
- HostGator isn’t always the most reliable when it comes to performance.
- Plans are a little more expensive than other hosting options.
- Higher priced options do not include access to a higher level of customer support.
- Because all hosting plans use the same customer support, response times can be slow.
7. Network Solutions
- Offers many apps you can install with a single click.
- Very affordable.
- Supports a wide range of programming languages.
- You can easily upgrade to a different plan if needed.
- Small amount of disk space.
- Limited to five email addresses.
- Domain name is not included as it is with their other plans.
- No malware scanning.
- Easy to set up and use.
- Great uptime.
- Three-day free trial.
- Pay as you go billing, so you only pay for the resources you need.
- Very affordable hosting plans.
- Flexible and easy to customize plans.
- Email service is not included and is an extra cost.
- No easy way to register a domain name.
- No unmanaged host option, so there is no way to get root access.
- Limited options for custom apps outside of PHP.
9. Hostinger Cloud
- You can create unlimited websites on a single account.
- All data is stored on fast solid-state drives.
- If you sign up for 12, 24, or 48 months of hosting, you get significant discounts.
- Free domain name included.
- Daily backups.
- Unlimited email accounts.
- You do need to sign up for several years of hosting to get a good price.
- The Startup plan only offers two CPU cores.
- No speed boosts.
- RAM is limited.
- Hostinger offers a number of different options depending on the memory, storage, bandwidth, and other resources you need.
- You can select either Linux or Windows as your operating system.
- All plans include solid state drives, full root access, and a dedicated IP.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Support is only offered via online chat or email; there’s no phone support.
- The Windows plans are significantly higher in price.
- The cheapest plans are only available if you commit to 12, 24, or 48 months.
- Low price when compared to many other cloud hosting options.
- Offers a good entry plan to cloud hosting.
- 5TB of data transfer per month.
- Data is saved on solid state drives that are incredibly fast.
- You can configure your own cloud settings, but the cost does increase.
- The entry plan only features two CPU cores and four GB of memory.
- It may be more than some smaller businesses can afford.
- These servers are fully managed, so root access is not available.
- Very flexible hosting that is ideal for some projects.
- You only pay for what you need.
- Creating a Droplet is an easy process.
- Their customer support is rated as above average.
- While cheaper, the standard Droplets plan isn’t as powerful as the CPU Optimized option.
- Standard droplets share CPUs, which can result in a drop in performance at times.
- While creating a Droplet is easy, you do need to understand your needs.
- DigitalOcean doesn’t include control panels or other management options.
- You will need more than a basic understanding of hosting to make use of this plan.
- Great for sites that need a large amount of storage.
- Multiple servers host the website, so if one goes down, another takes over. There’s no downtime.
- The website’s traffic load is balanced between servers, so the site can have a huge number of visitors at once without any noticeable slowdown.
- Server load is balanced automatically, so you don’t need to do anything.
- Setting up and maintaining any of Linode’s plans does require higher-than-average knowledge and skills.
- Hosting plans do not include a basic control panel or pre-configured settings. You have to set everything up.
- The NodeBalancers tool is an additional $10 a month on top of what you pay for Linode hosting.
- GreenGeeks offsets all of their energy use.
- They offer strong security.
- GreenGeeks automatically backs up their servers every night so you never lose data.
- They offer 24/7/365 support.
- A team fully manages your server.
- Every server uses a solid state drive.
- There are cheaper options.
- There is no unmanaged option.
- GreenGeeks offers plans aimed at new and intermediate-level users, so advanced users may not get everything they need.
- To get the best prices, you have to sign up for long-term hosting.