GreenGeeks is a web hosting company that also focuses on using environment-friendly practices. They offset all of their carbon emissions by 300%, erasing their carbon footprint and the carbon footprint of other businesses. Their web hosting plans are also very robust. The GreenGeeks Lite web hosting option offers unlimited storage plus much more. They priced it very affordably, too, making it a nice option for individuals and small businesses.
- Affordable price, especially if you sign up for multiple months or years.
- Unlimited storage space and monthly bandwidth.
- Automatic backups every night.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- Good support that responds quickly.
- All energy use is offset by wind production credits.
- Their servers have near or perfect uptime.
- The Lite plan is the slowest hosting plan GreenGeeks offers.
- To get the best price, you have to sign up for a multi-month contract.
- There are conditions to the 30-day money back guarantee.
- You’re limited to one website.
- Shared servers may not be ideal for medium to large websites.
GreenGeeks Lite Web Hosting Plan Review & Analysis
Many reviews focus on GreenGeeks’ environmental practices, and that’s certainly something to applaud. However, they do offer much more than carbon offsets. Their Lite plan may be the slowest out of their hosting options, but it still contains everything you need to build a good website. When compared to HostWinds shared hosting plan or similar plans, you’ll see that many hosts do offer nearly identical plans. However, the price and carbon offset pledge set GreenGeeks apart from these competitors.
Who This Hosting Plan is For
- Small websites and personal blogs.
- Anyone with a small budget and doesn’t mind a long-term contract.
- People who are focused on using green services.
- Individuals with limited knowledge about web hosting or server configuration.
- Websites that need near 100% uptime.
Who This Hosting Plan is Not For
- Large websites that may need more resources than shared web hosting offers.
- Websites that need more speed than the Lite plan has to offer.
- Anyone who needs to build more than one website on their account.
Don’t let the green focus of GreenGeeks fool you—it’s not a gimmick to hide less-than-useful hosting features. While it’s debatable whether or not GreenGeeks is the best website hosting option available, they’re certainly one of the best options as far as features and price goes. If you’re willing to commit to several years of hosting with them, you can’t beat the discount. Just be aware that there are some downsides.
GreenGeeks Web Hosting Features
- Unlimited SSD Web Space
- Unlimited Data Transfer
- Host Unlimited Domains (Pro & Premium)
- Free Drag & Drop Builder
- Free Website Transfer Exclusive
- Free Email Accounts
- Unlimited MySQL Databases
- Unlimited Sub & Parked Domains
- cPanel & Softaculous
- 30-day Money Back Guarantee
- 300% Match with Renewable Energy
- Free Let’s Encrypt Wildcard SSL
- Free Shopping Cart Installation
- Premium SSL Certificates Available
- Multiple PHP Versions (7.1, 7.0, 5.6 and more)
- Free SSH and Secure FTP Access
- Perl and Python Support
- MySQL Databases
- FTP Accounts
- Git, WP-Cli, Drush & Tons more
- Scalable Computing Resources New
- Multiple Data Centers
- SSD-based RAID-10 Storage Arrays
- Optimized LiteSpeed and MariaDB New
- Free CDN Integration
- HTTP/2 & PHP 7
- LSCache Support
Security & Reliability
- Hardware & Power Redundancy
- Container-based Technology
- Hosting Account Isolation
- Pro-active Server Monitoring
- Real-time Security Scanning
- Automatic App Updates
- Enhanced SPAM Protection
- Nightly Data Backup
- 24/7 Technical Support
- Above & Beyond Technical Support
- Support via Live Chat, Telephone & Email Tickets
GreenGeeks Web Hosting Prices
What GreenGeeks Lite Shared Hosting Plan Offers
The GreenGeeks Lite plan offers more than you might expect from a shared hosting account. It’s similar to the HostGator shared hosting plan in that GreenGeeks offers unlimited web space, email accounts, and bandwidth. You also have unlimited email accounts and unlimited databases. The Lite plan comes with a free CDN and a free SSL certificate. GreenGeeks also gives you a free domain name for a year.
The downsides to this unlimited web hosting plan are few, but they may be significant. First, while the special price is very affordable, you only get that price if you sign up for multi-year hosting. This means you’ll lock yourself in and may not be able to change hosting options for years.
GreenGeeks Offers Two Other Shared Web Hosting Plans
In addition to their Lite plan, GreenGeeks offers two other hosting options. The Pro plan, which is their recommended option, includes everything the Lite plan has. The major difference, though, is in the performance. The Pro plan offers double performance speed and allows you to create as many websites as you want per account. You may want to compare this plan to a Hostinger shared hosting plan to determine which offers the better options if you decide Lite isn’t enough for your website.
The Premium plan is GreenGeeks’ top of the line option for shared hosting. While it is more than double the regular price of the Lite plan, it is much faster. It includes everything the Pro level offers but adds four times the performance of the Lite option. GreenGeeks designed this plan for small businesses that are planning on opening eCommerce shops.
All three of these plans use shared hosting. This means that they are subject to the limitations that come with sharing a server with other websites. If you need more dedicated resources, GreenGeeks does offer VPS hosting. For smaller websites that don’t get a large amount of traffic, however, a shared host is perfectly fine. You can always upgrade to a VPS server later.
GreenGeeks’ Pledge to the Environment
As a green company, GreenGeeks works to reduce the impact they have on the Earth. They do this by offsetting their carbon emissions by 300%. The company buys wind energy credits to do so. By buying three times the amount of carbon emissions they create, GreenGeeks is also effectively offsetting the carbon footprint of other companies, too. Because of this, the US Environmental Protection Agency has named them a Green Power Partner. While this has no effect on their hosting capabilities, many individuals and companies are embracing green practices. It can be good to know that you’re working with a web host that is actively engaged in protecting the environment.
Should You Use GreenGeeks?
GreenGeeks does have a lot to offer. The unlimited disk space, bandwidth, and email accounts give you plenty of space to grow your website. The biggest two limitations of the Lite plan are the standard performance and the single website restriction. If you’re planning on creating a personal blog or a small business website, you shouldn’t have any issues with either of these. However, if you want to create several websites or know you’ll need more resources, the Pro plan isn’t that much more in price. This is especially true if you agree to a multi-year contract. GreenGeeks’ focus on the environment is an added bonus that, while not an impact on your hosting, is a nice extra.